March 16, 2018
Nathan’ But a “G” Thang: 10 Reasons Why Snoop’s “Bible of Love” Is Good for Gospel Music
By Hasan James
For the past several months, there has been major talks around the industry about Snoop Dogg recording a Gospel album. Initially, it was dismissed as some type of joke and some even thought it was blasphemous. But it wasn’t until “The Dogg Father” started playing snippets of his album on social media, that people started to take him seriously. I mean, you can’t have legendary artists like Rance Allen, Karen Clark Sheard and Charlie Wilson and your Gospel album and not be serious, can you?
Well once Snoop (né Calvin Broadus), performed with a choir robe in tow one this year’s Superbowl Gospel Celebration, it was evident that this is not a gimmick. Snoop is ready to spread the Gospel his way!
Here are 1o Reasons Why Snoop’s Bible of Love is good for Gospel Music:
- If the gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost (2 Corinthians 4:3-4). Snoop Dogg is an iconic figure in pop culture and after over 25 years in the industry, he is still very relevant. By him spreading the gospel in this way, with his Gospel album he has the ability to reach the gang bangers, pimps and hustlers…the lost.
- I always said that Gospel artists don’t collaborate enough but Snoop comes from the world of Hip Hop where collaborations are essential, therefore on his first Gospel record, he teamed up with the best of the best. Artist like Faith Evans, The Clark Sisters, Rance Allen, Tye Tribbett, B Slade and so much more. Hopefully this will compel the Gospel music community to collaborate more. Gospel needs more “posse cuts”!
- Snoop is connected to everyone from Dr. Dre to Bishop “Don Magic Juan” to Martha Stewart. Bible of Love will potentially open the world’s eyes to the Gospel music genre and they will know where the real singers really come from!
- Whether good, bad or indifferent, Snoop’s Gospel album has sparked up a conversation in the community and in the industry. Does he have a right to record a bonafide Gospel record? Who are we to judge?!
- Snoop is an icon in Hip Hop and quite honestly, the tracks on this album are fire!!! For the simple fact that the music is good and it’s Snoop, DJ’s across the land are sure to play some tracks from Bible of Love on the radio, introducing the likes of The Clark Sisters, Fred Hammond, John P. Kee and Isaac Carree to an entirely new audience.
- Can you imagine Pastor Shirley Caesar or Kim Burrell cooking in the kitchen on Martha and Snoop’s Potluck Dinner? Well I can, and this album can most definitely open up that door. Nobody can cook like church folk anyway!
- Have we ever considered by Snoop doing this gospel album, he may actually make some lifestyle changes and want more of God’s word in the process. After awhile, those words will penetrate and cause one to change.
- Amazing Grace is Aretha Franklin’s biggest selling album. The highest selling Gospel album of all time is Whitney Houston’s The Preacher’ Wife Soundtrack. Our country is in complete turmoil right now and people need some inspiration. With Snoop being a mainstream artist, Bible of Love has the potential to go mainstream and so does the Gospel Music genre.
- Hopefully this will cause some Christians to stop being so judgmental and embrace what God is doing in Snoop’s life. Initially, this album was a gift to Snoop’s mother, who is an evangelist. However, we don’t know what kind of impact this music has made on his life.
- Other Secular artists will follow suit. Artists like Fantasia, Faith Evans, Jennifer Hudson, Tank and Jamie Foxx are only a few artists that were Rooted and Grounded in the church. If they were to make Gospel albums, it can only help the genre and further prove that there is no sound like the Gospel sound!
Sound off! Let us know your thoughts on Snoop Dogg doing a Gospel album in the comments section.